Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Christmas Flick List


My present to you is a list of films making their debut this holiday season. My most awaited flick is The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (Dec 25th), Heath Ledger's last film. Ledger plays Tony, who passes through a magic mirror and reappears looking like Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell. Not bad, huh?
Second on my list... Sherlock Holmes (Dec 25th) with Robert Downey Jr., Rachel McAdams and encore, Jude Law! Need I say more?
Of course I have to include the overly promoted animated SciFi flick, Avatar (Dec 18th), in 3-D, obviously...
I can not miss Invictus (Dec 11th). Directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon, this is the most serious film in my list: Nelson Mandela, apartheid, and rugby.
Up in the Air and It's Complicated, (both Dec 25th) get listed here for pure star appeal. Who can miss a chance to watch George (Clooney, that is) jet around the world? Or delight over the antics of real grown-up people (and wonderful actors) Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, Steve Martin, and Rita Wilson?
Did You Hear About the Morgans? (Dec 18th) with Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker. Sorry, I just love SJP. Do you remember Parker and Helen Hunt in Girls Just Want To Have Fun, circa 1985? (Spoiler alert! Guess you can guess what generation I'm from.)
For animated fun, I choose Disney's Princess and the Frog (Dec 11th), with the voices of Keith David, Oprah Winfrey, and John Goodman.
(Drum roll, please) The finale is of course this years Broadway-play-on-film, "Nine". Rob Marshall directs Daniel Day-Lewis, Marion Cotillard, Penélope Cruz, Fergie, Nicole Kidman, Judi Dench, Kate Hudson, and Sophia Loren in this play about players on and off the stage.

So everyone, have a wonderful Christmas! and may your New Year be filled with great movies (ok, peace, health, and happiness too).

Love, your Movie Maven

No comments: