Saturday, August 15, 2009

Julie & Julia

There was such "hub-bub" about Julie & Julia in my little group of friends that I just had to go see this film. So a few of us did. It was a diverse group, those who cook and those who zap frozen food in microwaves. Mdm. Streep was sublime (insert French accent here), she was Julia Child for a few hours. Julia's husband Paul, played masterfully by Stanley Tucci, was so supportive and understanding of her drive to be involved in something. I felt her need to be something more than just a married lady, understood the disappointment of not having a family, something both Paul and Julia wanted. Julia and Paul's relationship was one of loving kindness and shared support. Lucky for us she chose French cooking and wanted to share her joy with all America. Her exuberance (again so artfully played by Streep) was contagious. So even though I fall in the "zapping" form of cooking, I thoroughly enjoyed Julia's story. I have always liked Amy Adams performances in the past and having no idea who Julie Powell is, I was not as engaged in her story as I was in Julia's. Julie has no joy to share, with us or her husband. She doesn't appreciate Eric (Chris Messina)even though he is patient and loving despite his wife's "melt downs". Her self-centeredness and single-mindedness makes her unsympathetic. Despite the inequitable stories, I did enjoy this movie and suggest that you will as well, at least half of it.

If you are interested in "cooking with Julia"...Check it out... at the Nesmith Library: Cooking with master chefs. (641.5 CHI); From Julia Child's kitchen. (641.544 CHI); Julia and Jacques cooking at home. (641.5944 CHI); Mastering the art of French cooking, Vol. 2. (641.5944 CHI); The way to cook. (641.5 CHI); and of course an autobiography: My life in France. (B CHI)

Poster courtesy of MSN Movies

No comments: