Thursday, October 8, 2009

Whip It

Anyone who's ever roller skated will love this movie. I remember strapping on my skates, key around my neck, no pads or helmet, flying down the hill in front of my house, hair flying. The sense of freedom plastering a big smile on my face. Roller derby was on the tube once a week. The girls were bruisers. I can't remember if they were a local team or not. Ok, I'm dating myself. Written by roller derby star-turned-author/screenwriter Shauna Cross Whip It tells us how Bliss Cavendar (played by Ellen Page, think "Juno") beauty pagent princess rebels against her parents (Marcia Gay Harden and Daniel Stern) by becoming Babe Ruthless of the Hurl Scouts, an Austin Roller Derby team. I'm impressed by Drew Barrymore's ability in her directorial debut. I liked that she played a small part as one of the team. Barrymore has been around since she was a child and watching this film you get the sense that they, the newbies and the stars we love, are all working as a team and enjoying what they are doing. Bonus, the music was great. I'd pay to see this again, or use the money to buy the CD. So strap on your gear and head to your local small town theatre for a great ride.
In case you've forgotten how...
Check it out...
Wheel excitement : the official Rollerblade guide to in-line skating by Neil Feineman (796.2 FEI).


Poster courtesy of MSN Movies

No comments: